BNCN both lead and partner on a variety of projects and initiatives which form part of delivering our overall strategic ambition for Circus Arts in the Baltic-Nordic region.
Check each ongoing individual project here
Rigorous Practice (2019-2020)
Baltic Nordic Circus Network produce rigging master class and capacity building courses for technical professionals working in theatres and festivals in the Nordic and Baltic countries wanting to gain expertise and qualification in circus rigging.
Partners: Manegen (SE), Cirkus Syd (SE), Riga Circus (LV), Cirkus Cirkör (SE), Cirko Centre for New Circus (FI) and Dynamo (DK).
New Horizon’s Leadership Programme (2020 – 2021)
Workshop for organisations on how to host young emerging leaders in order to maximise reflection and development.
Partners: Cirkus Syd (SE), Riga Circus (LV), Cirkus Cirkör (SE), Manegen (SE), CircusInfo Finland (FI), Hringleikur (IS), Upsala Circus (RU), Estonian Circus Centre, Acting for Climate (NO), DYNAMO (DK).
ARTIiculate Circus Education (2018 – 2022)
ARTiculate Circus is our pedagogy strand which currently comprises two projects.
ARTiculate 1.0 (2020-2021) which brought together experienced circus pedagogs from 9 countries in the Baltic Nordic Sea Region to develop methods for artistic thinking in circus training and education. The project bridges practises of contemporary, social and traditional circus training with theatre, dance and contemporary circus practises of pedagogy.
ARTiculate Pedagogy Network which sees our pedagogy working group reach out and create plans for circus education across the Baltic Nordic counties in a long term perspective.
Partners: Cirkus Syd (SE), Sirkunst (NO), Finnish Youth Circus Association (FI), Cirkus Syd (SE), Riga Circus (LV), Arts Printing House (LT), Nycirkus Öst (SE) , Sirkus Studio Folie (EE), AFUK (DK).
CircusLink (2019 – 2022)
Bringing together 4 regions of Europe to create sustainable touring for contemporary circus productions.
Partners: Baltic Nordic Circus Network (Cirkus Syd), Archaos (FR), Teatro de Didascalia (PT), Letni Letna (CZ) and Dynamo (DK)
Baltic Circus on the Road (2020/2022)
Helping artists to export their performances in the international touring circuit, to develop own networking and raise awareness of the Baltic contemporary circus scene in Europe.
Partners: Rigas cirks (LV), partners in the Baltic states: Festival Re Riga (LV), Arts Printing house (LI), Estonian Contemporary circus development center (ES)
Dramatic Fields (2021/2022)
Baltic Nordic Circus Network (BNCN) partners Cirkus Syd (SWE), Cirko – Center for New Circus (FIN) and Arts Printing House (LTU) are looking for under 30-year-old professional circus artists from the Nordic and Baltic countries to participate in the Dramatic Fields project exploring together with the participants the structures and practices of meaning making in circus, ie. circus dramaturgy.
To propose a project or partnership contact:
During 2017-2019 all our projects were directed by our strategy Cornerstones working to increase sustainability within contemporary circus in the Baltic and Nordic region focusing on capacity building through education and production.
- Riga ICCE – International Conference on Circus Education (April 2018)
- ARTiculate Circus (2018-2020) Education workshops to explore Circus Education/Pedagogy’s relationship with artistic thinking
2017-2019 BNCN Partner Projects:
- Co-presented Seminar: Circus as Outsider with Subtopia as part of official programme of Subcase 2017
- Co-presented Baltic Nordic Circus Network Mingle and Drinks with Subtopia at Södra Teatern, Stockholm, as part of Subcase 2017.
- Communications partner for NuoraNORD project Coordinated by CircusInfo Finland. Project to increase international networking and producing capacity of circus companies from Sweden, Finland, Latvia and Lithuania wishing to become established.
- DynamoDrones (working-title) developing circus and drone technology with DynamoWorkspace in Odense.
- Karavan and BNCN International Residency Programme 2019 – offering residency to Baltic-Nordic artists at Karavan in Malmö, Sweden. Hosting one month residency to an artistic company based in/from the Nordic and Baltic countries.
Ongoing lobbying within the Baltic and Nordic countries or national and regional level as well as pushing the Baltic and Nordic perspectives on European level.
BNCN is part of the advocacy group of Circostrada network working on the public policy seminars as part of Fresh Circus in Bruxelles 12-13th of March 2018 and Ireland May 2019.
Keep an eye on our list of upcoming events on the homepage and SIGN UP to the BNCN Quarterly Mailinglist for news and invitations to workshops and seminars
Outside of our projects our coordinator regularly talks and hosts seminars at festivals and conferences about the network and about contemporary circus in the Baltic Nordic region.
Our projects are funded by
as well as a host of partners, supporters and funders via our members.